Port Vila, Vanuatu
pacific island adventures in the heart of melanesia
Where: Port Vila & Island. Vanuatu, Oceania
When: April 2019
Wildlife spotting: texttext
Counter: Country No.86
Illnesses or mishaps: texttext
the ni-vanuatu capital
travel tips, links & resources
- If you plan to go snorkelling and, let's face it, why wouldn't you, then it's wise to pack plasters and iodine for the almost inevitable coral cuts you will sustain. I wasn't to know it at the time, but cuts on coral can be very serious.
- Invest in a GoPro: much of what you will probably get up to in Vanuatu involves being on or under water. If you have been thinking of buying one, and are going to Vanuatu, now's your chance to take the purchase plunge.
- Pack your mosquito nets. Some accommodation providers will offer you them but there is no guarantee of this. It is also worth bearing in mind that cheaper hotels are not exactly mosquito proof.
- Whilst malaria isn't present in mosquitoes all over Vanuatu (Port Vila is said to be safe), Dengue Fever certainly is. The disease is carried by daytime-biting mozzies so cover up and slap on plenty of repellent (invest in a quality product with at least 30% DEET) from the moment you arrive.
- Take some water purification tablets with you.
- It's worth taking some all-round travel antibiotics like Ciproflaxin. Vanuatu is renowned for giving people upset stomachs - no matter how cautious you think you're being.
you may also like